If you settle in Singapore
.. you get, for your whole life
- poor Indian people laying straight on the bare ground and playing games, right in front of store entrance. “Crazy Rich Asians” why you did not show any Indian people and so many poor people?
- people sleeping behind any corner on the streets
- all construction workers, 7/11 staff, bus drivers are Indian people
- you will see muslim people almost all the time, which is easy to guess because of paranja. Is this really Chinese city?
- shopping mall staff is underage kids. they look very young, maybe 14 years old primary school students
- disabled people on wheelchair doing food delivery
- trash on the streets, pieces of food laying on the ground and sidewalks
- rats and cockroaches on the streets and in buildings
- dirty, falling apart restrooms, underground stations, building interiors and public places
- government bolstering on Bloomberg how they gift permanent residency to rich people
- hard to find good places to go out. Standard attitude is “fuck you” or “please give me your money rich stupid white person”.
- attitude of “fuck you” in the air all around
- people doing unnecessary, unwanted low-pay jobs like excessive cleaning floors, gardening, repairs. Staff sneaking everywhere in common areas, not knowing how to occupy themselves. And they do cleaning badly anyways. You can have person to put sauce for your in the dish, even if you don’t ask or don’t want it. And they do it poorly too.
- when you go to gym, staff looks at you with despise, you almost hear them thinking “rich tourists, look at him, have time to push weights, go do real job instead”
- 10am to 4pm is no-go-outside time due to extreme UV index
- dangerous drivers, got almost hit by car myself at least twice in 6 months. Person in front of me was hit by a car.
- people don’t care how they sound, dropping end of sentence
- weird society. what’s up with that “female domestic helper” visa, who will never be a PR or whose kids will not be PR either?
- people doing whacky job. Don’t expect your repair work well on first or second time. Many people don’t reply back or not showing up on time.
- people smoke cigarets on the streets heavily
- everyone tries to make money out of you
- got multiple scams attempted to sell me something in 7 months
- expensive taxi. and you pay extra 5$ for online taxi booking. Must be someone in government owning a taxi business
- expensive food delivery. you can literally pay someone 5$ to walk 100 meters with your pizza. Delivery app is shamelessly making money out of you too.
- movie theater has outright bad service, bad food, no drinks, mediocre screens and sound. charge you extra for luxury that has to be basic service.
- many businesses, cafe, restaurants should not exist — always closed, never have clients, dysfunctional, weird
- chewing gum is illegal, but prostitution is legal
- your children have to do military service and government will try hard to worsen your life if they don’t
- best things in Singapore are not about Singapore
- “quarantine-free visits for high-value business travelers — regardless of their origin country”.
- new year fireworks was total dissapointment, small rural city in Ukraine has better fireworks
- no traditions for new year, as opposed to watching sunrise in Korea or Japan
.. you give up, for your whole life
- manners and polite service
- pleasant speech
- people who care how they look and how they sound
- clean streets, public places
- winter, refreshing spring air, cherry blossoms, snow, Christmas
- movie theaters
- shisha and trees
- being outside from 10am to 4pm
- buying drinks after 9pm
- cheap taxi, cheap delivery
- the only place in Asia when your kids can go to good cheap English school, get into university later
- safe, compare to many cities in USA, Canada, Europe, South East Asia, even London
- low tax, whatever you earn, you have
- many Korean, Chinese and other asian stores and restaurants
- weather forces you to be acting all the time, no drowsy dark winter days. You wake up at 6am every day
- futuristic architecture in some places
- many foreigners from UK, Australia, Japan, Korea. Feels less alien compare to Korea
.. but where would you go?
If it is big financial center, then Singapore is not just one bad apple.
New York and especially Hong Kong strike uncanny resemblance.
I would expect to see very same points I mentioned above out there too.
Admittedly, they are better in some ways and worse in others.
NY has big public safety and infrastructure problem.
HK has public safety, infrastructure and PRC problem.
People is the hardest thing to change. And even more so infrastructure, government, and nature. They will not change and you will not change them either.
Hope you find and stay in place you love. ✌️